Pollo a la Brasa & Peruvian Aji Verde Sauce
This brined & marinated chicken is packed full of authentic flavour that is bound to bring you back to the lush greenery of Peru. Pair it with the creamy, spicy Aji Verde Sauce for a delectable dish that's sure to impress!
- Food processor
Pollo a la Brasa
- 1 whole chicken 2- 3 lbs
- ¼ cup dark beer
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- lime juice from 2 limes
- 5 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro paste
- 1 tbsp ancho powder
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric for the red color
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper more or less according to heat preference
- Peruvian aji verde sauce for serving
Aji Verde Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups fresh cilantro
- 2 medium jalapeños remove some or all of the seeds for a less spicy sauce
- 2 cloves fresh garlic roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup grated fresh parmesan
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
For the Chicken
- Combine all of the ingredients except the chicken & aji verde sauce into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Rub some of the marinade under the skin of the chicken and place into a ziploack bag. Pour the remainder of the marinade into the bag and shake to ensure it's evenly coated. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 475F.
- Roast* the chicken at 475F for 45 minutes on the middle rack or until it reached an internal temperature of 165F. If the skin begins to brown too quickly, reduce the temperature.
- Remove the chicken and place foil over to tent it for 10-15 minutes. Cut the chicken and serve with a drizzle of the aji verde sauce. Pollo a la brasa is traditionally served with a leafy green salad and thick-cut fries.
For the Sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients** in a food processor and blend until mostly smooth.
- Taste, and adjust flavours as necessary. For more spice, add more jalapeño seeds. For more of a kick, add more lime juice. If the sauce is too spicy, blend some more olive oil in to tame it down.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to a week.
*You can also cook the chicken on a BBQ or smoker, if desired. **To make the sauce dairy free, omit the parmesan.